A five-story tall clock and bell tower of this outstanding late Victorian-Style building has been Main Street’s most prominent landmark since the day it was completed in 1896.
Designated as a combination municipal building/fire station/jail by architect F.G. Root and constructed at a cost of $5,000, this building is a beautifully preserved reminder of days when a community’s governmental services could be comfortably housed in a single moderate-sized building.
What sets this building apart it the extraordinary intact state of its exterior and interior. The original tower houses a beautiful, fully operational Seth Thompson clock, that is still wound by hand once a week. The building was also featured in Time Magazine.
The building was vacated by the city in 1966 and saved from demolition by a referendum in 1967. It now houses the outstanding collections of the Omro Area Historical Society’s museum.